Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Shows

I watched a show tonight.

I like the performer as a friend, but I desperately couldn't hold my tongue about his performance.

Let's get something out of the way, here.  I LOVE magic.  Adore it.  Live it, breathe it, I am in the flow of it all.  When you're this invested in a career (so much so that you lose everything you own, time and time again, and stick adamantly to the same job) you can't just sit back and watch when someone makes the entire profession look bad.

After the show, he asked, "How'd you enjoy the show?!"
My friend, who I brought along, said "I like it a lot!"
I said, "Ya want me to tell you now, or write a letter?"

Here's the points I covered that I shouldn't've had to cover.
I paid $7 to see this show.  I PAID TO WATCH A FRIEND PERFORM.
I wanted to ask for my money back...

*Define your character and stick to it.
*If you don't have control over your lighting, study your stage to determine which spots you look good in and which ones you look bad in.  Never address your audience from the darkness and expect a response.
*Use a script.  Even "impromptu" sets need to have a script.
*If the pace of your show causes people to leave, tighten it up.
*If people are texting or taking calls in your show, you're not commanding their attention.
*Own the stage.

When you ask the audience, "Are you having a good time?!" and someone says, "No!" you have a problem...